Written by KT, Contributing Writer
So in my family’s quest live healthier, safer, and detoxified lifestyle… one remaining toxic filled product was hanging around my house… carpet deodorizer. It’s a guilty pleasure, love the fresh smell… but I got to wondering about what kind of fragrances were making that “linen fresh” scent. There are lots of places to get information – but I like the summary here.
With that said – I was off to create a (VERY simple), homemade carpet deodorizer. My husband LOVES the idea of that white powder, sprinkled on the carpet, that you let sit and is then vacuumed up. So… I started with a natural deodorizer (baking soda) and added some SAFE & NATURAL fragrances.
How to make your own carpet deodorizer:
Whisk the following together in a bowl:
- 1 Box of Baking Soda
- 25 Drops of Vanilla Essential Oil
- 25 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil (if you have dried lavender from your garden, I would crush and add that in too!)
- 10 Drops of Wintergreen Essential Oil (our grocery store has a wide selection of essential oils, including organic varieties. If your’s doesn’t – they are widely available online)
What to do:
- Once it is combined – transfer to a container (I just used a canning jar). If you have something that you can shake it out of – that might be easier… I just use a spoon.
- Before vacuuming your rug – sprinkle some of the deodorizer on it. Let sit for a few minutes and then simply vacuum it up!
- Presto! Fresh smelling, non-toxic deodorizer!